Being unemployed (broke) and going back to school can dampen everyone’s travel plans. Life sometimes gets in the way of adventure. I promised myself this year that I’ll save up enough money to travel to three new cities in 2017, preferably: London, Paris and Rome. I chose these places because they’re vastly different from each other plus they have been the settings for a lot of my favorite books.
- Walk around the British Museum. I can’t pass up seeing their ancient Egypt exhibit. Plus, the museum is free for all to access. How amazing is that?
- Visit the Houses of Parliament and the Big Ben. While I am still not familiar with the inner workings of a parliamentary government, these buildings are beautiful and the attached Big Ben is legendary. I definitely want to view them at night all the way from the Westminster Bridge.
- Dine out and watch a West End show. Phantom of the Opera, anyone?
- Catch a grub at Sherlock Holmes pub. This is a quintessential place to get bangs and mashers. I wouldn’t say no to a nice English breakfast.
- Madhatter’s Tea Party at the Sanderson Hotel. I’d take the red pill and stay in wonderland, thank you very much!
- Spend a day sniffing out books at the British Library.
- Laugh at muggles taking photos of Platform 9 ¾. Wizards know where the real entrance is.
- Give Oscar Wilde a kiss at his graveyard in Père Lachaise.
- Visit Paris’ amazing architecture: Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, Sorbonne, Pantheon.
- Spend a day at the Louvre and try to crack the Da Vince Code.
- Be inspired and listen to a reading at Shakespeare & Co. I heard the beat generation used to frequent this place!
- Have a croissant.
- Shop vintage at Bouquinistes and Brocante de Abbesses. I’ve been wanting to get a nice Parisian scarf.
- Music Please! Get an obscure vinyl record for my boyfriend to enjoy.
- Stay up late and visit an unobstructed Trevi Fountain. Make a wish!
- Stare at Michael Angelo’s painting in the Sistine Chapel and count the number of angels.
- People watch while drinking real coffee. None of that Starbucks shit I love.
- Ever since reading Angels and Demons, I’ve been wanting to see the Ecstasy of St. Theresa in Santa Maria della Vittoria.
- Tour the Vatican Museum early in the morning and head to St. Peter’s Basilica.
- Dress up like Audrey Hepburn and recreate her scene from the movie “Roman Holiday” at La Bocca Della Verità.
- Savor a gelato.
Did I miss anything? Let me know your thoughts!